    SubjectRe: Runs with Linux (tm)
    [...]
    > With a logo a PC vendor such as Dell can stick the logo on their PCs
    > if and only if every component in the machine is certified.
    > (Including motherboard, on-board graphics, on-boad-sound, on-board
    > raid etc. etc.)
    >
    > This means you or I don't have to try to find out the exact machine
    > specification from Dell and then individually check each part against
    > the hardware database.

    I completely agree with all your arguments. My point is that your
    solution is a long term one. It depends on demand being there, on
    hardware vendors to be educated/lobbied/pressured, on both part
    vendors and part assemblers to use the logos (as a good side effect
    creating the logo might enforce the existance of Linux/Free OS
    specialized hardware companies).

    This is a good but long term shot. It will take years before such a
    framework becomes effective for the user.

    For example. If I have to buy a laptop today, I will have a hard time
    finding a computer fully supported under Linux using Free drivers.

    Let's say that the laptop of my dreams contains a non supported wifi
    driver. I already have a supported exteranl Wifi card. In that case,
    I'd rather pick the tool almost good for the job that shows me as
    profficient under Linux (non certified), than a fully certified laptop
    but that doesn't make me as effective.

    We probably need both the logo/certification and the centralized
    hardware database, but the later might be effective sooner.

    Jerome

      Last update: 2005-12-08 12:52    [W:5.116 / U:0.084 seconds]