    SubjectRe: [discuss] Re: 2.6.15-rc5-mm1 (x86_64-hpet-overflow.patch breaks resume from disk)
    On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 09:43:52AM +0100, Jan Beulich wrote:
    > I don't know how resume normally handles the re-syncing of the wall
    > clock, but the problem here is obvious: do_timer runs a loop to
    > increment jiffies, which may require significant amounts of time
    > (depending how long the system was sleeping).

    It would be good if someone could submit a patch to fix
    this up properly. It indeed sounds wrong.

    The HPET patch seems to be generally unhappy. With it applied
    I get lots of obviously wrong softlockup warnings from the
    softlockup watchdog thread on a dual NForce4 system. So something
    goes wrong with the timing there. The strange thing
    is that the system doesn't even have a HPET table so HPET code shouldn't
    be executed - but it goes away when I revert the patch. Very

    Also I think vgettimeofday doesn't handle 64bit HPET correctly
    yet. Also why does it not use hpet_readq?

    I suspect the 64bit HPET patch needs some more cooking. I think
    I will drop it for now.

    I would suggest you submit the cleanups in there separately
    (without changing semantics yet)
    then it will be easier to test in the future too.

      Last update: 2005-12-08 23:50    [W:0.020 / U:0.072 seconds]