SubjectRe: Runs with Linux (tm)
On 12/8/05, Jeffrey Hundstad <jeffrey.hundstad@mnsu.edu> wrote:
> Benjamin LaHaise wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 02:12:20PM -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> >

> >>If even some "Linux-friendly" hardware manufacturers barely cooperate
> >>with the Linux comminuty now what makes you think this would work?
> >>

> >Nothing in life is guaranteed. But at the very least, I think it would
> >be a good step towards improving the Linux end user experience. Instead
> >of the unclear mess we have now (Is it supported? Check with your
> >vendor!), we would be able to say "Look for the Linux Certified logo".
> >Combine that with a standard format for source code driver disks, and
> >it would be a good step in the right direction.
> >

> The problem as I see it:
>
> A hardware vendor hires someone to write a driver. The driver is
> completed and submitted and finally makes it into the kernel. It's
> fully GPL and everyone is happy. The hardware gets a "Native Linux
> Support" logo. The card goes out of favor and no one is interested in
> maintaining the driver, it is marked obsolete and finally removed from
> the kernel. ...the logo still suggests the hardware will work.

I think "Designed for Windows" has the same problem. I know some
hardware that works well with Win98 but no driver exist for XP.
Fortunately that hardware works with Linux...

I would say the fix is "Runs with Linux(tm) 2005-2006" and the
hardware vendor finances maintainance during the specified period.

/ magnus

  Last update: 2005-12-08 04:31    [W:0.145 / U:0.208 seconds]