    SubjectRe: Runs with Linux (tm)
    On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 02:12:20PM -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
    > If even some "Linux-friendly" hardware manufacturers barely cooperate
    > with the Linux comminuty now what makes you think this would work?

    Nothing in life is guaranteed. But at the very least, I think it would
    be a good step towards improving the Linux end user experience. Instead
    of the unclear mess we have now (Is it supported? Check with your
    vendor!), we would be able to say "Look for the Linux Certified logo".
    Combine that with a standard format for source code driver disks, and
    it would be a good step in the right direction.

    > Christ, some vendors don't bother to get their Windows drivers
    > certified.

    Maybe our lower cost will make it easier to entice hardware vendors. As
    far as I know, the requirements for Windows driver certification are
    pretty heft as vendors have to pay for the cost of future driver
    maintenence. In the Linux case we'll make it easier on the vendors as
    our maintenence component comes from having the source code and many
    hands amongst the community.

    -ben
    --
    "You know, I've seen some crystals do some pretty trippy shit, man."
    Don't Email: <dont@kvack.org>.