SubjectRe: [SCSI] SCSI block devices larger then 2TB
>>Greetings!
>>
>>Current aic79xxx driver doesn't see SCSI devices larger, then 2TB. It
>>fails with READ CAPACITY(16) command. As far as I can understand, we
>>already have LBD support in kernel for some time now. So it's only the
>>drivers, that need to be fixed? LSI driver is the only one I found
>>working with devices over 2TB; I couldn't test any other driver, as I
>>don't have the hardware. Is it really so bad, that only LSI chipset and
>>maybe few others are capable of seeng such devices?
>

> I definitly works fine with Qlogic parallel scsi and fibrechannel and emulex
> fibre channel controllers aswell as lsi/engenio megaraid controllers.
>
> It looks like aci79xx is just broken in that repsect. Unfortunately the
> driver doesn't have a proper maintainer, we scsi developers put in fixes
> and cleanups but we don't have the full documentation to fix such complicated
> issue. If you have a support contract with Adaptec complain to them.

As we do not have any special support contract with Adaptec, it's
probably a dead end. I found some aic79xx driver on Adaptec website for
2.6 kernel. It detects full SCSI device capacity, but it hangs
ocassionaly when that drive is beeing accessed, so it's unusable for
every day use.

Anyway, thanks for the info. And to everyone else, beware of Adaptec
SCSI host adapters when using large SCSI arrays... :(

  Last update: 2005-12-07 15:04    [W:0.081 / U:0.168 seconds]