    SubjectRe: Broadcom 43xx first results
    On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 02:05:07PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > Harald Welte wrote:
    > >I also think that there is a lack of knowledge on the architecture of
    > >802.11 low-level protocols and drivers among many people (including
    > >myself) in the network community. Only this way I can explain why there
    > >are always people who claim that the kernel already has a 802.11
    > >'stack'.
    >
    > This last sentence, regardless of the source, is simply playing with words.

    I don't think that having clear definitions of certain terms is playing
    with words. I don't neccessarily care which words are used, but it's
    always useful to have common, well-defined terminology.

    I also wouldn't call the TCP code a stack, if it hadn't all the state
    engine in it.

    > We have 802.11 common code in the kernel, that several drivers are
    > using.

    Yes.

    > Future drivers should modify that common code to suit their
    > needs, rather than dropping it and starting from scratch.

    I did not state that it has to be replaced. I'm much in favour of
    gradual changes myself.

    --
    - Harald Welte <laforge@gnumonks.org> http://gnumonks.org/
    (ETSI EN 300 175-7 Ch. A6)

      Last update: 2005-12-07 07:34    [W:2.293 / U:0.516 seconds]