SubjectRe: Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario
On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 08:11:55PM +0100, Paweł Sikora wrote:
> Dnia wtorek, 6 grudnia 2005 20:00, Tomasz Torcz napisał:

> > > Open 2D is nothing new. The OpenGL is a major part.
> > > Matrox and XGI (e.g. Volari V3 based cards) have openGL parts closed.
> >
> > Interesting remark, but false.
>
> I investigated only mtx driver from theirs website.

Indeed, anything newer than a G550 is binary only as far as 3D is concerned.
Sad, as Matrox used to be a really good recommendation for an
opensource friendly graphic card vendor.

It's not as if their newer cards are even that fast, so my only
guess is that they've gone the binary blob route purely for
paranoia reasons.

That said, they had a binary blob for some of the special
features of their cards for a long time, but most users would
never need it.

Dave

  Last update: 2005-12-06 21:32    [W:0.268 / U:1.116 seconds]