    SubjectRe: Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario
    On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 08:12:16PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
    > On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 03:56:06PM -0800, Tim Bird wrote:
    > > DISCLAIMER: I'm not speaking for Sony here. Personally
    > > I don't believe that most drivers are derivative works
    > > of the operating systems they run with, and I don't
    > > believe it helps Linux to assert that they are.
    > > But, hey, it's not my kernel, and not my plan for
    > > world domination. ;-)
    > Why do people bring up the "derivative works" issue all the time. Are
    > they so blind to the very simple "linking" issue that all kernel modules
    > do when they are loaded into the kernel?

    The linked kernel+module combination is pretty clearly a derived work
    (but I am not a lawyer). However, that never gets *distributed* and
    the GPL only covers distribution rights.

    The question of whether or not something which *could* be linked into
    the kernel is a derived work is a very different question, and if
    taken too far, an advocate of this interpretation starts advocating
    something very close to interface copyrights --- something which I
    will note the FSF is passionately against when they called a boycott
    on companies such as Lotus many years ago.

    But this is very much off-topic for this list. I suggest that folks
    talk to Larry Rosen for his view on this issue, if they want a
    balanced counterpoint to that pushed by the FSF.

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-12-06 20:20    [W:0.032 / U:0.712 seconds]