SubjectRe: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel
Date
On Tuesday 06 December 2005 04:34, Luke-Jr wrote:
> > > Nope, but I don't see how udev can possibly detect something that
> > > doesn't let the OS know it's there-- except, of course, loading the
> > > driver for it and seeing if it works.
> >
> > Stuff shows up in /sys whether or not Linux has a driver loaded for it.
>
> Only if Linux is aware it exists. I'm thinking of those old ISA cards and
> such.

A) This is only true for obsolete hardware. Can you name an example that's
currently being manufactured? (I'm trying to figure out if serial mice
count, not that you really need kernel support to detect those.)

B) You can insmod the module from userspace to actively probe for stuff. If
the kernel doesn't know either until it probes, and you can trigger the probe
at will, what additional kernel support do you need?

Rob
--
Steve Ballmer: Innovation! Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word.