SubjectRe: [patch 00/21] hrtimer - High-resolution timer subsystem
Hi Thomas,

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 tglx@linutronix.de wrote:

Before I get into a detailed review, I have to asked a question I already
asked earlier: are even interested in a discussion about this?

Since I posted the ptimer patches, I haven't gotten a single direct
response from you, except some generic description in your last patch.
I would prefer if we could work together on this, but this requires some
communication. I know I'm sometimes a little hard to understand, but you
don't even try to ask if something is unclear or to explain the details
from your perspective.
Slowly I'm asking myself why I should bother, the alternative would be to
just continue my own patch set. I don't really want that and Andrew
certainly doesn't want to choose between two versions either. So Thomas,
please get over yourself and start talking.

> We worked through the subsystem and its users and further reduced the
> implementation to the basic required infrastructure and generally
> streamlined it. (We did this with easy extensibility for the high
> resolution clock support still in mind, so we kept some small extras
> around.)

It looks better, but could you please explain, what these extras are good
for?

> After reading the Posix specification again, we came to the conclusion
> that it is possible to do no rounding at all for the ktime_t values, and
> to still ensure that the timer is not delivered early.

Nice, that you finally also come to that conclusion, after I said that
already for ages. (It's also interesting how you do that without giving me
any credit for it.)
Nevertheless, if you read my explanation of the rounding carefully and
look at my implementation, you may notice that I still disagree with the
actual implementation.

BTW there is one thing I'm currently curious about. Why did you rename the
timer from high-precision timer to high-resolution timer? hrtimer was just
a suggestion from Andrew and ptimer would have been fine as well.

bye, Roman

  Last update: 2005-12-06 18:35    [W:1.497 / U:0.388 seconds]