    SubjectRe: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel
    Date
    In article <20051205114028.GD5148@marowsky-bree.de> you wrote:
    > As I said, please, go on maintaining a release for a longer period of
    > time.

    On the other hand:

    Since it is such a ugly big boring and complicated task, why do you still
    think it can be done by volunteers? (or why will commercial distributions
    have the power to pay for this in the long run)

    I think this is exactly the reason why it cannot be done in parallel by
    volunteers without support from all of the contributors. With an official
    stable trunk it attrackts more backports. It is clear where the security
    fixes must happen, etc.

    We used to have this back in the 2.4 days with longer release cycles.
    However I am not sure if that was better or worse.

    Gruss
    Bernd

      Last update: 2005-12-05 13:26    [W:4.455 / U:0.040 seconds]