    SubjectRe: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel
    Date
    * Matthias Andree:

    > Basically, no-one should have permission to touch any core parts, except
    > for fixes, until 2.7. Yes, that means going back to older models. Yes,
    > that means that the discussions will start all over. And yes, that means
    > that the cool stuff has to wait. Solution: release more often.

    Would this alone change much? I think what we really want is that our
    favorite branch (whatever it is) gets critical fixes forever (well,
    maybe one or two years, but this is forever). This is a bit
    unrealistic because everyone has a slightly different branchpoint.
    Releasing more often doesn't change that, really.

    In the security area, I think there is enough experience out there to
    collect data which would help each local branch maintainer to install
    the relevant fixes. But for general development, this seems to be
    infeasible, unless you focus your software architecture on this
    purpose (which is probably a terrible idea to do for kernel
    development).

      Last update: 2005-12-05 21:55    [W:4.029 / U:0.200 seconds]