SubjectRe: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel
On Sun, 2005-12-04 at 15:25 +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Dec 2005, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2005-12-04 at 14:28 +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:
> >
> > > I meant the ipmi, smbus and copa modules by Fujitsu-Siemens.
> > >
> > > They are provided in source form, but I just found out (reading the
> > > headers and not just the lines that broke the compile) they are not open
> > > source. Perhaps one should prod them to slap a modified-BSD or perhaps
> > > GPL label onto their modules.
> >
> > is there an URL to these?
>
> http://download.fujitsu-siemens.com/prim_supportcd/Programs/General/ServView/Linux/agents/srvmagt-mods_src.suse.rpm
>
> > > It seems you'd then maintain them after their submission? :-)
> >
> > usually such modules are extremely low maintenance once merged.... There
> > are many many drivers without a maintainer, and they still get fixed.
>
> As I say, these aren't licensed for inclusion into the kernel, they bear
> a (C) Copyright notice and "All rights reserved."

and
MODULE_LICENSE("GPL");

so it *IS* gpl licensed!

the code is a bit horrible though and no surprise it breaks ;)

you can always make drivers broken enough to break at the slightest
change ;)

(it also seems to contain an entire ipmi layer, linux already has one so
I wonder why they're not just using that as basis)

  Last update: 2005-12-04 15:56    [W:0.207 / U:2.968 seconds]