SubjectRe: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel
Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 04:24:36PM +0100, M. wrote:

[...]

> > yeah but I would mean if there's a 6months release cycle like GNOME & co.
> > there would be more opportunities in different distros using the same
> > kernel like those distros do with GNOME & co. If they use the same
> > 'current' 6months kernel available in the 18/24 time window this will
> > lead to unified base kernel for every distro and those distro could
> > mantain it for years

> The kernel is unlike GNOME in so many different ways, there's just no
> way to compare their development cycles.

Gnome is a /collection/ of (mostly independent) programs, after a while
what program+version survives a stress test is decreed to be part of
version N + 1 to be released at the 6-month point; lather, rinse,
repeat. In that sense it is much more like a distribution (which also have
similar release cycles). The kernel is /one/ program, and large and complex
to boot.