    SubjectRe: bad pmd filemap.c, oops; 2.4.30 and 2.4.32
    On Sat, 31 Dec 2005, Willy Tarreau wrote:
    > On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 05:48:15PM -0800, Chris Stromsoe wrote:
    >
    >> I'm starting to suspect bad hardware. Booting is now hanging (with
    >> 2.4.27, 2.4.30 and 2.4.32) after scsi drivers load:
    >
    > And nothing changed since previous boot, except UP ?

    All I changed was adding nosmp to the kernel boot line.

    > It's not necessarily bad hardware. I also had trouble on one version of
    > the 29160 bios where it hanged during device scan if there were too many
    > terminations. Oh, BTW, please check that you have disabled "automatic"
    > termination in the BIOS. Manually set it either to ON or OFF (low/high
    > depending on your setup).

    I'll have to check it tomorrow or on Monday.

    >> How likely is it that a failing scsi controller contribute to the other
    >> problems I was seeing?
    >
    > Not much. Perhaps at worst, a failing controller could corrupt memory by
    > writing garbage at wrong locations, but you would not always get the
    > same messages. It seems to be a different problem here. To be honnest,
    > it's where I think you should try the new driver.

    The machine has been running 2.6.14.4 for the last 6 hours. It came up
    fine. I did not try booting it with nosmp. If I have time, I will revert
    back to 2.4 with the newer driver to test.

    -Chris

      Last update: 2005-12-31 11:42    [W:2.214 / U:0.024 seconds]