SubjectRe: [RFC] Event counters [1/3]: Basic counter functionality
Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> What about this addition to the documentation above, to make it a little more
> verbose:
>
> The possible race scenario is restricted to kernel preemption,
> and could happen as follows:
>
> thread A thread B
> a) movl xyz(%ebp), %eax movl xyz(%ebp), %eax
> b) incl %eax incl %eax
> c) movl %eax, xyz(%ebp) movl %eax, xyz(%ebp)
>
> Thread A can be preempted in b), and thread B succesfully increments the
> counter, writing it back to memory. Now thread A resumes execution, with
> its stale copy of the counter, and overwrites the current counter.
>
> Resulting in increments lost.
>
> However that should be relatively rare condition.

Hi Guys,

I've been waiting for some mm/ patches to clear from -mm before commenting
too much... however I see that this patch is actually against -mm itself,
with my __mod_page_state stuff in it... that makes the page state accounting
much lighter weight AND is not racy.

So I'm not exactly sure why such a patch as this is wanted now? Are there
any more xxx_page_state hotspots? (I admit to only looking at page faults,
page allocator, and page reclaim).

Thanks,
Nick

--