    SubjectRe: [patch 00/43] ktimer reworked
    On Thursday 01 December 2005 14:08, Steven Rostedt wrote:
    > On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 18:44 +0100, Roman Zippel wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, Russell King wrote:
    > > > Hence, timers have the implication that they are _expected_ to expire.
    > > > Timeouts have the implication that their expiry is an exceptional
    > > > condition.
    > >
    > > IOW a timeout uses a timer to implement an exceptional condition after a
    > > period of time expires.
    > >
    > > > So can we stop rehashing this stupid discussion?
    > >
    > > The naming isn't actually my primary concern. I want a precise definition
    > > of the expected behaviour and usage of the old and new timer system. If I
    > > had this, it would be far easier to choose a proper name.
    > > E.g. I still don't know why ktimeout should be restricted to raise just
    > > "error conditions", as the name implies.
    > >

    > ktimeout may not need to be restricted to anything.

    But does it make sense to use it in any other circumstances? It sounds
    like the rb-tree based ktimer system is suitable for the general case. So
    you can have a simple rule: use ktimeout for timing out when an expected
    event doesn't occur, and ktimer for everything else. Are there any
    situations where you want a timer optimized for the removal case that is not
    also monotonic and low-res? And are there any situations in practice other
    than the "timeout" one where you'd want to use a timer wheel instead of a
    rb-tree?

    It sounds to me that the ktimer should be the general case, leaving
    ktimeout to be optimized for one particular case (by e.g. decreasing the
    resolution to reduce cascades).

    Andrew Wade

      Last update: 2005-12-04 02:32    [W:4.178 / U:0.056 seconds]