Subjectnewbie - mdadm create raid1 mirrors on large drives
Date
I hope this is the correct list for this question.

I've just recently begun using mdadm to set up some
arrays using large drives (300-400Gb). One of the
things I don't understand is this: when you first
create a raid1 (mirrored) array from two drives
mdadm insists on mirroring the contents of the first
drive to the second even though the drives are
entirely blank (e.g. new drives don't have anything
on them). In one configuration I have, this takes
about 16 hours on a 400Gb drive. When I do 5 of them
simultaneously this takes 2+ days to complete. Is
there some way to tell mdadm that you want to create
a mirrored set but skip this rather long initial
mirroring process? I don't really see that it actually
accomplishes anything.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

-Larry Bates

  Last update: 2005-12-03 19:19    [W:0.152 / U:0.160 seconds]