    SubjectRe: userspace breakage
    Linus Torvalds wrote:

    >On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
    >>The breakage issue is ridiculous, assinine, and unnecessary. I have been
    >>porting dsfs to the various releases over the past month, and the
    >>breakage of user space, usb, nfs, memory management, is beyond absurd.
    >We're not talking about internal kernel stuff. Internal kernel stuff
    >_does_ get changed, and we dont' care about breakage of out-of-kernel
    >stuff. That's fundamental.

    Start caring. People spend lots of money supporting you, and what you
    are doing. How about taking some
    responsibility for that so they don't change their minds and move back
    to windows or pull their support because it's too
    costly or too much of a hassle to produce something stable from these
    releases. If you export functions from the kernel,
    don't break them. Don't let these numbnuts keep breaking things that
    shouldn't be broken, i.e. memory manager (now that's a
    big one). If you replace a subsystem with a newer one, keep a mapping
    layer through at least the next .<even> release
    i.e. 2.4 -> 2.6 (this is reasonable and expected -- you can drop things
    but you should only do it on well understood
    boundries). Don't let these people break everything every other
    incremental release.

    I have a family too Linus and I like to spend my evenings with them
    rather then unwinding Olaf's bugs in NFS (the most
    recent one). Think about "free and easy" and about making peoples lives
    a little easier to support code on your platform
    rather then expecting the rest of the planet to clean up everyone's
    messes and sloppiness.

    > Linus
    >the body of a message to
    >More majordomo info at
    >Please read the FAQ at

      Last update: 2005-12-30 00:56    [W:0.030 / U:19.288 seconds]