    SubjectRe: [patch 00/2] improve .text size on gcc 4.0 and newer compilers

    * Adrian Bunk <> wrote:

    > It won't be dropped on the floor indefinitely.
    > "I do plan to look at this" means that I'd currently estimate this
    > being 2.6.19 stuff.

    you must be kidding ...

    > Yes that's one year from now, but we need it properly analyzed and
    > tested before getting it into Linus' tree, and I do really want it
    > untangled from and therefore after 4k stacks.

    you are really using the wrong technology for this.

    look at the latency tracing patch i posted today: it includes a feature
    that prints the worst-case stack footprint _as it happens_, and thus
    allows the mapping of such effects in a very efficient and very
    practical way. As it works on a live system, and profiles live function
    traces, it goes through function pointers and irq entry nesting effects
    too. We could perhaps put that into Fedora for a while and get the
    worst-case footprints mapped.

    in fact i've been running this feature in the -rt kernel for quite some
    time, and it enabled the fixing of a couple of bad stack abusers, and it
    also told us what our current worst-case stack footprint is [when 4K
    stacks are enabled]: it's execve of an ELF binary.

      Last update: 2005-12-29 21:28    [W:0.025 / U:6.200 seconds]