    SubjectSerial ATA Lockups
    My setup: Shuttle XPC Barebone, AMD CPU, two serial ATA disks in a
    software raid setup.
    When the system is under heavy load (start World of Warcraft, dd
    if=/dev/zero of=/part/file etc) I get these messages in dmesg:

    ata1: translated ATA stat/err 0x51/84 to SCSI SK/ASC/ASCQ 0xb/47/00
    ata1: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    ata1: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
    over and over, pages with these messages.
    The system will eventually lockup hard, HDD led is on, no disk activity,
    I have to reboot the system. Some kernels ago (2.6.14.2) I got a kernel
    backtrace on the console, I don't remember exactly anymore but there was
    something with scsi_resume(). I don't get this backtrace with this
    kernel: 2.6.15-rc6-gd5ea4e26, now it just locks up hard.

    Sometimes I can't even boot (like just before), it locked up before init
    could be started. And I've seen this on my console (transcript):

    command 0x35 timeout, stat 0xd0 host_stat 0x21
    translated ATA stat/err 0x51/84 to SCSI SK/ASC/ASCQ 0xb/47/00
    status=0xd0 { busy }
    SCSI error: return code = 0x8000002
    sda: Current: sense key = 0xB
    end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector [sector #]
    ATA abnormal status 0xD0 on port 0x9f7
    Its very hard recover from a hard lockup because at the next reboot, the
    kernel wants to RESYNC the raid arrays and this causes heavy load which
    again causes a hard lockup. And endless loop. Sometimes, I can boot and
    then I change to 'init 2' to stop as many services as I can and unmount
    as many partitions as I can but even then it sometimes locks up again.

    The Barebone SATA chip supports SATA-II, but the harddrives are SATA-I.
    The two disks are Seagate 120GB. I've had problems with the harddrives
    before, I've had them on a ICP Vortex SATA hardware-raid controller and
    sometimes, one disk would fail and I'd have to rebuild the array. It was
    always the same disk, and I don't think it one that I have in my new
    computer now.

    Can this be fixed in the kernel? Or do I have to buy new harddisks?

    tom