SubjectRe: [Linux 2.4.32] SATA ICH5/PIIX and Combined mode
Paul Rolland wrote:
> Hello,
>

>>AFAIR, RedHat still adds support for new hardware to RHES3.
>>
>>You should contact the RedHat support you are paying for for getting
>>help with RHES3 running on your hardware.
>

> Sure, but I really don't like all the changes RH brings into the
> kernel (as many vendors do), and I've always been running vanilla
> kernels on top of the distribs, once the installation in completed.

You realize using a non-RH kernel on RHEL isn't a supported
configuration.. and if you are fine with this, why are you paying out
the money for RHEL instead of using Fedora or CentOS, etc. if you don't
care about support?

There are other issues with this, as well.. RHEL4 with 2.6 probably
doesn't suffer as many side effects as RHEL3 does since that kernel is
closer to mainline. Running a vanilla 2.4 kernel on RHEL3 would be
rather crippling - that kernel is closer to 2.6 than 2.4 in some ways.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada