SubjectRe: Machine check 2.6.13.3 dual opteron
I got an ASUS A8V-E with a 3500+ CPU, 2 GB of ram. I have had not problem with it.

I run Bluesmoke on it (bluesmoke.sourceforge.net), which is renamed EDAC in a submission for
inclusion in the kernel (hopefully 2.6.16). Bluesmoke, scans the the K8's Memory controller
looking for Correctable Errors that occur. The idea is that detection correctable errors and
replacing memory can reduce sudden uncorrectable errors.

But your problem seems generated by the motherboard, no memory. SOMETHING is not quite right.

doug t

--- Andy Stewart <andystewart@comcast.net> wrote:

> Doug Thompson wrote:
> > With the Opteron Bank 4 value you gave, this decodes to:
> >

> > Decoding MCE value as MCi_STATUS: 'b200000000070f0f'
> > Bit 63: Valid error
> > Bit 61: UNCORRECTED error
> > Bit 60: MCA Error Reporting Enabled
> > Bit 57: Process Context Corrupt
> > HyperTransport Link Number= 0
> > Extended Error Code = 0x7 - WatchDog error
> >
> > BUS Error:
> > Processor(generic)
> > TimeOut(timed out)
> > Memory Transaction Type(generic)
> > Mem or IO(generic)
> > Cache Level(generic)
> >
> > You had an Uncorrectable Error.
> > Since you did not post an address error, I assume that it did NOT report such. Therefore,
> because
> > of the WatchDog error, there might be an error between the CPU and memory. There is a
> hardware
> > problem definitely.
> >
> > CPU-Mem Controller
> > Even bad memory DIMM
> >
> > doug thompson
>
> HI Doug,
>
> Thank you for your quick reply. There was no "address error" - the only
> thing on the serial console is what I posted.
>
> In the past, this board, the CPUs, and these memory DIMMs have passed 24
> continuous hours of memtest, but perhaps something has deteriorated in
> the mean time. I'll run memtest again to see if I can find a problem.
>
> FYI: This MB (MSI K8T Master2 FAR) has been problematic since day one.
> A BIOS upgrade improved stability, but I've never gotten more then 21
> straight days of uptime on this machine (compared to 200-300 days on
> several other machines in my house). I've had *many* random hangs but
> seldom does something get printed on the serial console. When it does
> hang, the serial console is unresponsive.
>
> I'll be swapping out this MB in favor of a Tyan. I've put up with it
> long enough. Assuming that the Tyan MB solves the problem, I won't be
> purchasing any more MSI MBs (and neither will my friends if I have
> anything to say about it).
>
> Thanks again for the help!
>
> Andy
>
> - --
> Andy Stewart, Founder
> Worcester Linux Users' Group
> Worcester, MA, USA
> http://www.wlug.org

"If you think Education is expensive, just try Ignorance"

"Don't tell people HOW to do things, tell them WHAT you
want and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
Gen George Patton

  Last update: 2005-12-25 05:21    [W:0.052 / U:0.664 seconds]