    SubjectRe: PowerBook5,8 - TrackPad update
    On Ne 25-12-05 09:27:51, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
    > On Sat, 2005-12-24 at 21:17 +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > > Hi!
    > >
    > > > Ok, I finally received my new laptop (PowerBook5,8 15"). I tried the
    > > > latest patch you posted, and while the kernel driver seem to work ok
    > > > (though you can feel the lack of a proper acceleration curve), the
    > > > synaptics driver in X doesn't work in any useable way. I updated the one
    > > > that comes with breezy to whatever was the latest on the author web site
    > > > (.44 I think) and while it detected the tracpkad, the result was soooooo
    > > > slooooow that it was totally unseable. I've tried the config tool that
    > > > comes with KDE for it but couldn't "boost" it to anything useful. Is
    > > > that expected or is there still issues to be resolved in the driver ?
    > > > I'm tempted to add some minimum support for a proper acceleration curve
    > > > in the kernel driver in fact...
    > >
    > > I do not think you should add it inside *kernel*. Proper acceleration
    > > support really belongs to X...
    >
    > X, fbdev apps, gpm ... acceleration curves are typically done in HW,
    > thus it makes sense in this case to have it in the kernel driver
    > (besides, it should be fairly simple anyway) when it's in normal
    > mode.

    It should be doable once in gpm, all other apps can use gpm's repeater
    mode...

    > When it's in raw mode for use by the synaptics X driver, if course, it's
    > expected that those things are to be done by that driver.

    ...but you are right, doing it in /dev/input/mice emulation layer
    makes some sense. OTOH I thought we were moving away from
    /dev/input/mice... Its Dmitry's call I guess.
    Pavel
    --
    Thanks, Sharp!