SubjectRe: [RFC] Let non-root users eject their ipods?
On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 10:56 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Llu, 2005-12-19 at 18:51 -0800, john stultz wrote:
> > So below is a patch that allows non-root users to eject their ipods. (It
> > seems it should be safe_for_write() but eject opens the device for
> > RDONLY, so eject may be wrong here as well).
> >
> > Comments, flames?
>
> I think its probably uninteresting to the majority of users to solve it
> that way (not that its wrong that I can see). The desktops handle
> automount/umount these days and if anything what would cover most bases
> is to teach umount a new option/fstab flag so that it will handle the
> device eject as it handles the non-root umount management.

I don't think that's necessary as I believe the desktops handle the
mount/unmount using eject (at least Gnome does on my Ubuntu system).

After using Ben's fix (suggested by Jens I believe) for the eject
command so it opens the device RDWR everything works without kernel
modifications (ends up the ALLOW_DEVICE_REMOVAL is already on the
safe_for_write list, just under a different name).

thanks
-john

  Last update: 2005-12-22 17:55    [W:0.014 / U:0.076 seconds]