SubjectRe: ETA for Areca RAID driver (arcmsr) in mainline?
Arjan van de Ven <arjan@infradead.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 09:17 +0100, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> > > Well, often all that's needed are some user reports that the driver
> > > works for them.
> >
> > Is that a reasonable strategy? Why is a _new_ driver present only in -mm?
> > It hardly can break anything. It is possible that Andrew is quicker merging
> > but still I can't see the advantage if this persists for any length of time.
>
> afaik that's not the strategy here.
> It's more "we're waiting for the structural issues to be resolved" which
> sounds quite reasonable.

Yes, there are lots of stylistic and API-usage issues with the driver and
it needs someone to fix them all up. Unfortunately the original
developer's English is very poor and he's obviously quite unfamiliar with
how Linux development happens.

This is all resolveable - it just needs someone to get down and work with
Erich on knocking the driver into shape. But as yet, nobody has stepped up
to do that work.

And yes, the driver does apparently work.

  Last update: 2005-12-22 14:27    [W:0.068 / U:0.952 seconds]