    SubjectRe: [patch 00/21] hrtimer - High-resolution timer subsystem
    Roman Zippel wrote:
    > Hi,
    > On Mon, 19 Dec 2005, George Anzinger wrote:
    >>>You don't think the current behaviour is wrong.
    >>One of the issues I see with using your assumption is that moving the timer to
    >>an absolute clock after the initial expiry _may_ lead to additional
    >>qauntization errors, depending on how aligned the two clocks are.
    > What do you mean by "moving the timer to an an absolute clock"?

    The assumption I am making is that the timer is connected to a clock
    the absolute flag set should expire at the requested time as read from
    that clock, where as relative timers are not affected by time setting
    and thus should be on CLOCK_MONOTONIC. It is unclear, in general, how
    these two clocks relate to each other at the nanosecond level, or so
    one might think. Of course, we can define this problem away by a
    particular definition of one of these clocks as being derived from the
    other (which we, infact, do in Linux).
    >>I would guess, then, that either the non-absolute or the absolute timer
    >>behaves badly in the face of clock setting. Could you provide a pointer to
    >>the NetBSD code so I can have a look too?
    > AFAICT TIMER_ABSTIME is only used to convert the relative value to an
    > absolute value.

    Yes, there is also this interesting comment in settime:

    I strongly suspect that this system does NOT expire absolute timers
    and clock_nanosleep calls at the requested time in the face of clock

    I see NO hooks in the referenced code that would allow them to find
    such timers at clock set time, nor are they entered into any different
    list to make them findable. It would appear that the absolute
    attribute is lost as soon as the time is convereted to a relative time.

    In fairness, the POSIX folks added the clock setting requirement a few
    years after the absolute flag was defined... but, still, there is
    that comment.

    George Anzinger
    HRT (High-res-timers):

      Last update: 2005-12-22 05:34    [W:0.024 / U:10.996 seconds]