SubjectRe: Recursion bug in -rt
Date

On Dec 20, 2005, at 1:20 PM, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 21:42 +0100, Esben Nielsen wrote:
>

>> This is ok for kernel mutexes, which are supposed not to cause
>> deadlocks.
>> But user space deadlocks must not cause kernel deadlocks. Therefore
>> the
>> robust futex code _must_ be fixed.
>
> And it should be fixed in the futex side. Not in rt.c.

Yes. I believe you are right about this. The bad news is POSIX
specifies
that an app that calls lock_mutex twice on the same mutex hangs.
EINVAL or EWOULDBLOCK are not POSIX compliant.

Let me think on this a while and see if I can come up with an idea that
will let the app hang itself (and be POSIX compliant) and not hang the
kernel.

Perhaps I'll just detect it and hang them on a waitqueue waiting
for the user to get impatient and hit control C . . . .

David