    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] i386: always use 4k stacks
    On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Horst von Brand wrote:

    > "With some drawbacks" is the point: It has been determined that the
    > drawbacks are heavy enough that the 8KiB stack option should go. Given
    > there is /no/ compelling argument /against/ 4KiB stacks, even very minor
    > drawbacks are important. So first make 4KiB the standard (popular
    > distributions work that way for /years/ now, with no measurable downsides),

    at least one of the 'popular distributions' that switched to 4k stacks
    years ago worked around the problems that it generated by simply lableing
    the portions that didn't work with 4k stacks as 'unsupported by this
    distro' (XFS has been explicitly stated to be in this catagory in these
    discussions)

    how many other corner cases are there that these distros just choose not
    to support, but need to be supported and tested for the vanilla kernel?

    also for those who are arguing that it's only dropping from 6k to 4k, you
    are forgetting that the patches to move the interrupts to a seperate stack
    have already gone into the kernel, so today it is really 8k+4k and the
    talk is to move it to 4k+4k.

    I think it's a good idea to change the default (especially in -mm) to 4k
    stacks and to schedule a change of the default in mainline for a few
    versions out, but there needs to be a safety net other then telling people
    to downgrade to a prior kernel if they run into problems when the switch
    is made

    David Lang

    -- C.A.R. Hoare

      Last update: 2005-12-20 19:04    [W:0.025 / U:121.192 seconds]