SubjectRe: stat64 for over 2TB file returned invalid st_blocks
Date
Hi,

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I found a problem at stat64 on 32bit architecture.
> >
> > When I called stat64 for a file which is larger than 2TB, stat64
> > returned an invalid number of blocks at st_blocks on 32bit
> > architecture, although it returned a valid number of blocks on 64bit
> > architecture(ia64).
>
> For jfs, it's a bigger problem than just stat64. When writing the inode
> to disk, jfs calculates the number of blocks from the 32-bit value:
> dip->di_nblocks = cpu_to_le64(PBLK2LBLK(ip->i_sb, ip->i_blocks))
>
> So it won't only report the wrong number of blocks, but it will actually
> store the wrong number. :-(

I also found another problem on generic quota code. In
dquot_transfer(), the file usage is calculated from i_blocks via
inode_get_bytes(). If the file is over 2TB, the change of usage is
less than expected.

To solve this problem, I think inode.i_blocks should be 8 byte.

>> 2. Change the type of architecture dependent stat64.st_blocks in
>> include/asm/asm-*/stat.h from unsigned long to unsigned long long.
>> I tried modifying only stat64 of 32bit architecture
>> (include/asm-i386/stat.h).
>
>This changes the API, but the structure does suggest that the 4-byte pad
>should be used for the high-order bytes of st_blocks, so that's not
>really a problem. A correct fix would replace __pad4 with
>st_blocks_high (or something like that) and ensure that the high-order
>word was stored there. Your proposed fix would only be correct on
>little-endian hardware, as Jörn pointed out.

Thank you for your advice. I'll research for glibc and consider
how to implement.
By the way I think, as Avi Kivity said, it's always little-endian on i386,
is it correct?

-- Takashi Sato

  Last update: 2005-12-02 14:20    [W:0.069 / U:0.416 seconds]