    SubjectRe: Submitting patches for Kontron-boards with Freescale processors
    Date

    On Dec 19, 2005, at 2:07 AM, Claus Gindhart wrote:

    > Kumar,
    >
    > in our department we have Linux 2.6 kernel ports for Kontron
    > embedded computer boards with freescale processors 8245, 405, 8540,
    > 8541, 8347, 8270, ...
    >
    > We would like to start now to submit all these board supports to
    > the vanilla kernel.
    >
    > For the start we would select one of our common boards, e.g. the
    > one with 8540/8541 processor.
    >
    > My question is now:
    > Should we try to provide a patch with all HW-features of the board
    > supported, or would it be better to start with a minimalistic
    > patch, and then add support for additional devices onboard (e.g.
    > IDE, RTC, SuperIO, ...) time by time ?
    >
    > Or would it be better to provide the full feature set of this board
    > at one time ?

    First, I would recommend posting such queries to the linuxppc lists
    (linuxppc-dev@ozlabs.org, linuxppc-embedded@ozlabs.org).

    Second, I'm no longer at Freescale so please email me at this address.

    Ok, now to your question. In general if a given board port touch
    files in arch/ppc/platforms/* than all of that code should be in one
    patch. If you are touching anything in drivers/* you need to
    separate out those patches and send them to the respective driver
    maintainers. If you want to provide a more detailed list of changes
    for 8540/8541 I can provide better directions on how to submit patches.

    What boot loader are you using for your boards? I ask because for
    the 85xx and 83xx subarchitectures I'm trying to limit new board
    ports in arch/ppc as we try to transition to arch/powerpc. However,
    this requires that the firmware provide a flatten device tree to the
    kernel.

    Hopefully that gets you a sense and feel free to ask any other
    questions.

    - kumar

      Last update: 2005-12-19 16:09    [W:0.025 / U:29.972 seconds]