    SubjectRe: [patch 00/21] hrtimer - High-resolution timer subsystem

    On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, George Anzinger wrote:

    > > > IMHO then, the result should have the same property, i.e. ABS_TIME. Sort
    > > > of
    > > > like adding an offset to a relative address. The result is still relative.
    > >

    > > If the result is relative, why should have a clock set any effect?
    > > IMO the spec makes it quite clear that initial timer and the periodic timer
    > > are two different types of the timer. The initial timer only specifies how
    > > the periodic timer is started and the periodic timer itself is a "relative
    > > time service".
    > >
    > Well, I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

    That's easy for you to say. :)
    You don't think the current behaviour is wrong.

    > That which the interval is
    > added to is an absolute time, so I, and others, take the result as absolute.
    > At this point there really is no "conversion" to an absolute timer. Once the
    > timer initial time is absolute, everything derived from it, i.e. all intervals
    > added to it, must be absolute.

    With this argumentation, any relative timer could be treated this way, you
    have to base a relative timer on something.
    While searching for more information I found the NetBSD code and they
    do exactly this, they just convert everything to absolute values and clock
    set affects all timers equally. Is this now more correct?

    > For what its worth, I do think that the standards folks could have done a bit
    > better here. I, for example, would have liked to have seen a discussion about
    > what to do with overrun in the face of clock setting.

    Maybe they thought it wouldn't be necessary :), because a periodic is a
    relative timer and thus not affected...

    bye, Roman

      Last update: 2005-12-19 15:59    [W:0.022 / U:9.544 seconds]