SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] fix the EMBEDDED menu
On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Russell King wrote:

> I believe there are instances where ARM fails if CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE
> is not set. Luckily we have assertions in the generated assembly to
> flag these as assembly errors when they happen, rather than silently
> continuing to build.

Actually that gcc problem was unrelated to -Os vs -O2. I was able to
produce a test case that triggered the bug even with -Os at the time.
It is true that, for the kernel, using -Os made the gcc bug more
unlikely, but it could have happened regardless. This particular gcc
bug was fixed quite a while ago so using either -O2 and -Os on ARM
should be fine (especially since we fail the compilation if a bad
compiler triggers the bug).

Nicolas

  Last update: 2005-12-17 22:23    [W:0.126 / U:3.652 seconds]