    SubjectRe: [ckrm-tech] Re: [RFC][patch 00/21] PID Virtualization: Overview and Patches

    On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 09:35:19 PST, Dave Hansen wrote:
    > On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 19:28 -0800, Gerrit Huizenga wrote:
    > > In the pid virtualization, I would think that tasks can move between
    > > containers as well,
    > I don't think tasks can not be permitted to move between containers. As
    > a simple exercise, imagine that you have two processes with the same
    > pid, one in container A and one in container B. You wish to have them
    > both run in container A. They can't both have the same pid. What do
    > you do?
    > I've been talking a lot lately about how important filesystem isolation
    > between containers is to implement containers properly. Isolating the
    > filesystem namespaces makes it much easier to do things like fs-based
    > shared memory during a checkpoint/resume. If we want to allow tasks to
    > move around, we'll have to throw out this entire concept. That means
    > that a _lot_ of things get a notch closer to the too-costly-to-implement
    > category.

    Interesting... So how to tasks get *into* a container? And can they
    ever get back "out" of a container? Are most processes on the system
    initially not in a container? And then they can be stuffed in a container?
    And then containers can be moved around or be isolated from each other?

    And, is pid virtualization the point where this happens? Or is that
    a slightly higher level? In other words, is pid virtualization the
    full implementation of container isolation? Or is it a significant
    element on which additional policy, restrictions, and usage models
    can be built?

      Last update: 2005-12-16 21:48    [W:0.044 / U:4.696 seconds]