    SubjectRe: VM_RESERVED and PG_reserved : Allocating memory for video buffers
    On 12/16/05, Nick Piggin <> wrote:
> [...]
    > > On Friday 16 December 2005 02:27, Nick Piggin wrote:
    > >>vm_insert_page is indeed the right interface for mapping these pages
    > >>into userspace.
    > >

    > > Ok, that's what I intended to do.
    > >

    > >>You do not have to worry about pages being swapped out, and you shouldn't
    > >>need to set any unusual vma or page flags. kswapd only walks the lru lists,
    > >>and it won't even look at any other pages.
    > >

    > > I'd still like to understand how things work (I'm one of those programmers who
    > > don't like to code without understanding).
    > >
    > > I think I understand how disk buffers or non-shared pages mapped by a regular
    > > file can be reclaimed, but I have trouble with anonymous pages and shared
    > > pages.
    > >
    > > First of all, I haven't been to find a definition of an anonymous page. I
    > > understand it as a page of memory not backed by a file (pages allocated by
    > > vmalloc for instance). If this is wrong, what I'm about to say if probably
    > > very wrong as well.
    > >
    > Anonymous memory is memory not backed by a file. However the userspace
    > program will gain access to your vmalloc memory by mmaping a /dev file,
    > right?
    > So the mm kind of treats these pages as file pages (not anonymous),
    > although it doesn't make much difference because it really has very little
    > to do with them aside from what you see in vm_insert_page.
    > > Are anonymous pages ever added to the LRU active list ? I suppose they are
    > > not, which is why they are not reclaimed.
    > >
    > They are, see the line
    > lru_cache_add_active(page);
    > in mm/memory.c:do_anonymous_page()
    > Anonymous memory is basically memory allocated by malloc(), to put simply.
    > Reclaiming anonymous memory involves writing it out to swap.
    > > How does the kernel handle shared pages, (if for instance two processes map a
    > > regular file with MAP_SHARED) ? They can't be reclaimed before all processes
    > > which map them have had their PTEs modified. Is this where reverse mapping
    > > comes into play ?
    > >
    > That's right. mm/rmap.c:try_to_unmap()
    > > Finally, how are devices which map anonymous kernel memory to user space
    > > handled ? When a page is inserted in a process VMA using vm_insert_page, it
    > > becomes shared between the kernel and user space. Does the kernel see the
    > > page as a regular device backed page, and put it in the LRU active list ? You
    > No, the kernel won't do anything with it after vm_insert_page (which does
    > not put it on the LRU) until the process unmaps that page, at which time
    > all the accounting done by vm_insert_page is undone.
    > > said I shouldn't need to set any unusual VMA or page flags. What's the exact
    > > purpose of VM_RESERVED and VM_IO then ? And when should they be set ?
    > >
    > VM_RESERVED I think was in 2.4 to stop the swapout code looking at that
    > vma. I don't think you should ever need to set it in 2.6.
    > VM_IO should be set on memory areas that have can have side effects when
    > accessing them, like memory mapped IO regions.

    This is documented on page 421 in the ldd3 chapter memory mapping and dma

    VM_IO prevents memory from beeing included in coredumps

    (though the ldd3 was written for 2.6.10 or so, some pieces are already
    outdated but it's the most recent available one I think)