SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] don't allow users to set CONFIG_BROKEN=y
On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 07:28:41PM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > Do not allow people to create configurations with CONFIG_BROKEN=y.
> >
> > The sole reason for CONFIG_BROKEN=y would be if you are working on
> > fixing a broken driver, but in this case editing the Kconfig file is
> > trivial.
> >
> > Never ever should a user enable CONFIG_BROKEN.
> ^^^^
> OK, a user, not an expert. Let's assume users don't enable EXPERIMENTAL.

Let's assume users don't have any hardware (e.g. several SATA drivers)
that requires EXPERIMENTAL...

> But I'd like to at least have the possibility to enable broken drivers, even if
> it's just for compile regression tests.

If a kernel developer really wants to enable BROKEN drivers, my patch
still gives them the possibility to do so with a trivial edit of

> Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
> Geert

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed