    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] don't allow users to set CONFIG_BROKEN=y
    On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 07:28:41PM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Adrian Bunk wrote:
    > > Do not allow people to create configurations with CONFIG_BROKEN=y.
    > >
    > > The sole reason for CONFIG_BROKEN=y would be if you are working on
    > > fixing a broken driver, but in this case editing the Kconfig file is
    > > trivial.
    > >
    > > Never ever should a user enable CONFIG_BROKEN.
    > ^^^^
    > OK, a user, not an expert. Let's assume users don't enable EXPERIMENTAL.

    Let's assume users don't have any hardware (e.g. several SATA drivers)
    that requires EXPERIMENTAL...

    > But I'd like to at least have the possibility to enable broken drivers, even if
    > it's just for compile regression tests.

    If a kernel developer really wants to enable BROKEN drivers, my patch
    still gives them the possibility to do so with a trivial edit of
    init/Kconfig.

    > Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
    >
    > Geert

    cu