SubjectRe: GNU/Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario
On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 00:19 +0100, Helge Hafting wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 01:44:38PM -0700, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
[...]
> > I have been very dismayed at how FOSS has been used as a vehicle to
> > promote anti-american attitudes into our own culture. It's sad. I have
> > lived in
> > all these places and the only place where people have guaranteed rights
> > as individuals and true freedom is America.
>
> "The only place!" Are you just trying to provoke? Or can you tell me

Obviously.

> what freedoms and rights I lack? I live in a democracy, I vote, I
> have freedom of speech and press, I can leave if I'm not satisified anyway.
> I also have the freedom of going wherever I want, any time of day, without risk.

The last sentence needs to be stressed.

> If you wonder why some people have an anti-american attitude, try listening to
> what they say. It is usually about foreign policies, environmental problems,
> or the actions of large America-based multinational corporations.

Or the arrogance to even only think that the whole world must act as the
US administration wishes.

> > I was in Germany in the late
> > 1970's and earlt 1980's when the Bater-Meinhoffs were killing Americans
>
> Criminals, which were eventually caught. Seems to me America has enough
> of their own criminals killing americans?

Remember the last 3-5 years IIRC about typical tourist robberies in
Florida?
Probably the US don't want any visitors from Europe anymore (and with
the current list of to-be-delivered data before one may enter the so
called "land of the free" I certainly wait for that period to get over).

> > in the streets and the Grune-Gehfahr (Green Party) was having
> > demonstrations burning effigies of Uncle Sam in the Hauptewache District
>
> Excercising their freedom of speech? It'd be sad if they couldn't.
> If you love freedom of speech, then you have to put up with people
> saying all sorts of things. Even things you don't like.

The so called "freedom of speech" in the so called "land of the free"
can be seen if agents of 3-letter agencies walk into universities to
"avoid" talks on certain topics.

Bernd
--
Firmix Software GmbH http://www.firmix.at/
mobil: +43 664 4416156 fax: +43 1 7890849-55