SubjectRe: [patch 00/43] ktimer reworked
On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 19:41 -0500, Kyle Moffett wrote:
> On Dec 01, 2005, at 19:29, Roman Zippel wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >> As for portablility, I believe John Stultz has some nice plugins
> >> coming to what timer source you want to use, so if there's a
> >> better way to get a time, these should make things easy to add.
> >
> > These plugins can do no magic, if the hardware timer is slow, the
> > whole thing gets slow.
>
> The point is that you could switch both the timer and timeout
> implementations to jiffies if you wanted to, at the expense of the
> accuracy that a lot of people care about.

While I'm not challenging the possibility of doing this, my timekeeping
work does not provide quite this level of flexibility you imply. Indeed
one could use jiffies as a clocksource, limiting all time users
(including ktimers) to jiffies resolution, but I would consider that to
be abusing the interface.

thanks
-john

  Last update: 2005-12-02 02:00    [W:0.814 / U:0.268 seconds]