SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.15-rc4

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:

> I am also getting the NVIDIA messages, here they are from a patched kernel.
> my driver continues to work OK, however I am not running any gl apps.

Ok. It seems at least the NVidia driver is happy with the new code, and we
could disable messages for it.

The NVidia driver would probably be even _happier_ to use the new
"vm_insert_page()" function that was designed to do exactly what NVidia
seems to want to do (insert single pages at specified addresses), but that
obviously requires that driver to change.

It seems to be the ATI driver that has some magic expectations. People
with the ATI driver, please test with the noisier patch and report.
Please.

(There are a couple of in-tree drivers that it would be interesting to
hear about too. In particular, all these files:

arch/ia64/kernel/perfmon.c
drivers/media/video/cpia.c
drivers/media/video/em28xx/em28xx-video.c
drivers/media/video/meye.c
drivers/media/video/planb.c
drivers/media/video/vino.c
drivers/media/video/zr36120.c
drivers/usb/class/audio.c
drivers/usb/media/ov511.c
drivers/usb/media/pwc/pwc-if.c
drivers/usb/media/se401.c
drivers/usb/media/sn9c102_core.c
drivers/usb/media/stv680.c
drivers/usb/media/usbvideo.c
drivers/usb/media/vicam.c

use remap_pfn_range() to map a single page, and should thus probably be
converted to the new lighter-weight vm_insert_page() instead which matches
much more closely what they actually want to do, and doesn't require
reserved pages etc. However, since I have none of the affected hardware,
and since you need to be careful about the page protections, I didn't do
any of the apparently trivial conversions).

Anybody who is interested in this, please just read the comment in
mm/memory.c above the vm_insert_page() function, it really should be very
straightforward, but needs some trivial testing..

Linus

  Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.056 / U:0.508 seconds]