    SubjectRe: merge status
    Con Kolivas <kernel@kolivas.org> wrote:

    > On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 10:01 am, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@SteelEye.com> wrote:
    > > > it's my contributors who drop me in it
    > > > by leaving their patch sets until you declare a kernel, dumping the
    > > > integration testing on me in whatever time window is left.
    > >
    > > Yes, I think I'm noticing an uptick in patches as soon as a kernel is
    > > released.
    > >
    > > It's a bit irritating, and is unexpected (here, at least). I guess people
    > > like to hold onto their work for as long as possible so when they release
    > > it, it's in the best possible shape.
    >
    > I suspect part of that is the concern about whether the code will merge with
    > whatever -mm looks like next. Of course you already do ludicrous amounts of
    > merging, but sometimes you'll just throw it back and say "too many rejects".

    Well of course that's not a concern for people who work against the git
    trees - scsi/usb/ia64/whatever developers.

    But yes, sometimes people's work does clash just too much with things which
    are already in subsystem trees or in -mm. Fortunately it's relatively
    rare, and I do think it's best to ask people to develop against latest
    -linus rather than against a crazy -mmoving target.

    Especially as lots of people are stuck using git, rather than high-tech
    patch management technologies ;)

    Actually, I disagree with you - it's at 2.6.x release-time that all trees,
    including -mm are at their most divergent. Presumably these developers are
    working against the relevant subsystem git tree, and hence can merge into
    the subsystem maintainer at any time.

      Last update: 2005-11-10 01:27    [W:0.023 / U:366.072 seconds]