    SubjectRe: userspace block driver?
    On Wed, 9 Nov 2005, Jeff Garzik wrote:

    > Has anybody put any thought towards how a userspace block driver would work?
    >
    > Consider a block device implemented via an SSL network connection. I don't
    > want to put SSL in the kernel, which means the only other alternative is to
    > pass data to/from a userspace daemon.
    >
    > Anybody have any favorite methods? [similar to] mmap'd packet socket? ramfs?

    Heh, thanks, Jeff, for bringing this subject up again, hasn't been that
    long ago

    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=113140332009208&w=2

    , which was indeed asked with nbd in mind. To remind you and others in

    I played a bit with extending nbd to map block devices to the client
    system more transparently, which means, as James Bottomley explained,
    basically supporting REQ_BLOCK_PC requests. He also suggested not to use
    ioctls on both sides, which is where I stopped. I can understand how to
    avoid implementing ioctl in the nbd driver and intercepting REQ_BLOCK_PC
    requests instead, but on the server side? Assume you get the request
    object on the client, send it to the server, and then? Even if there
    existed a generic interface to block devices, allowing to inject requests
    directly from user space into block queue, wouldn't the same problems with
    endianness, 32/64 bit stay? The advantage, perhaps, would be that the
    request structure is standard, so, the conversion would be universal?

    So, my problem is - how to send a generic request to a device (disk /
    cdrom / loop / sg / st / ...) from the user space? Hence my recent
    question...

    Thanks
    Guennadi
    ---
    Guennadi Liakhovetski

      Last update: 2005-11-09 21:59    [W:0.060 / U:1.748 seconds]