    SubjectRe: XFS information leak during crash
    Jan Kasprzak wrote:
    : Nathan Scott wrote:
    : :
    : : This issue affects every filesystem, right? Or are you claiming its
    : : only XFS affected here? Have you run your parallel-buffered-writers
    : : test case on any other filesystems? I'd be interested in the results,
    : : in particular, with all of the data=xxx modes of other filesystems.
    : :
    : I will do this tomorrow or the day after and post the results.
    Sorry for the delay - I did the test on other filesystems
    as well: "random" (i.e. not rewritten) data after the hard reset were
    inside the files in the following filesystems:

    ext3 data=writeback

    and my test program did not manage to put those "random" blocks into the
    files when running on ext3 with data=ordered mode (as expected).

    I have tried ReiserFS as well, with mixed results:

    - when I hit "reset" soon enough (but well after the HDD LED starts
    blinking), I end up with an empty directory after the reboot.
    It seems ReiserFS caches the filesystem operations much longer
    than other filesystems.
    - I have not seen truly random data in the files on ReiserFS after the
    hard reset, but I have seen blocks of zeros instead of either
    old or new data. This may be a pure coincidence, so ReiserFS
    may belong to the same group as ext3 with data=writeback mode,
    but I was not able to make the files contain truly random
    blocks by hitting the reset button.

    So, does ReiserFS do some kind of data journaling/ordering as well?

    | Jan "Yenya" Kasprzak <kas at { - work | - private}> |
    | GPG: ID 1024/D3498839 Fingerprint 0D99A7FB206605D7 8B35FCDE05B18A5E |
    | Journal: |
    > Specs are a basis for _talking_about_ things. But they are _not_ a basis <
    > for implementing software. --Linus Torvalds <

      Last update: 2005-11-09 17:58    [W:0.020 / U:5.220 seconds]