    SubjectRe: typedefs and structs
    On Tuesday 08 November 2005 19:59, Douglas McNaught wrote:
    > linas <> writes:
    > > On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 07:37:20PM -0500, Douglas McNaught was heard to remark:
    > >>
    > >> Yeah, but if you're trying to read that code, you have to go look up
    > >> the declaration to figure out whether it might affect 'foo' or not.
    > >> And if you get it wrong, you get silent data corruption.
    > >
    > > No, that is not what "pass by reference" means. You are thinking of
    > > "const", maybe, or "pass by value"; this is neither. The arg is not
    > > declared const, the subroutine can (and usually will) modify the contents
    > > of the structure, and so the caller will be holding a modified structure
    > > when the callee returns (just like it would if a pointer was passed).
    > Right. My point is only that it's not clear from looking at the call
    > site whether a struct passed by reference will be modified by the
    > callee (some people pass by reference just for "efficiency"). And if
    > the called function modifies the data without the caller's knowledge,
    > it leads to obscure bugs. Whereas if you pass a pointer, it's
    > immediately clear that the called function can modify the pointed-to
    > object.

    A structure is almost never passed by value, no matter whether it is C
    or C++. So both languages require you either use descriptive naming or
    look up declaration/implementation:

    struct str {
    char buf[1024];
    int count;
    struct str s;

    Which one modufies s?

      Last update: 2005-11-09 03:17    [W:0.020 / U:4.208 seconds]