    SubjectRe: [Patch] vectored aio: IO_CMD_P{READ,WRITE}V and fops->aio_{read,write}v
    Christoph Hellwig wrote:
    > On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 05:03:58PM -0800, Zach Brown wrote:

    >> If we're going down this path, and find ourselves touching every vectored
    >> implementation in the world, I wonder if we shouldn't consider that iovec
    >> container. The desire is to avoid the duplicated iovec walking that happens at
    >> the various layers by storing the result of a single walk. An ext3 O_DIRECT
    >> write walks the iovec no fewer than 7 times:

    > As we discussed a while ago adding some kinds of fs_iovec or kern_iovec
    > structure that records useful addition information could help this.
    > Would you mind prototyping it?

    Yeah, I have a patch that I've been kicking around. It's working out
    pretty well, though there are some kinks to work around. Nothing fatal
    so far. I realized when I finally sat down to it that we can just or
    together the ptr/len bits and cache them in the structure to help lower
    layers with the alignment checks they're currently doing.

    > The nice part about the consolidation work I'm doing now is that we'd
    > need to touch much fewer places for this than before.

    I'll try and send something out the next few days.

    - z

      Last update: 2005-11-07 06:03    [W:0.019 / U:8.684 seconds]