    SubjectRe: 3D video card recommendations
    On 4 Nov 2005, Mark Knecht announced authoritatively:
    > On 11/4/05, Steven Rostedt <> wrote:
    >> I'm currently putting together (ordering parts for) another machine. It
    >> will be a AMD64 X2. Now I'm looking into a video card for this. Up till
    >> now, I've always used NVidia. But I also want to test 3D acceleration
    >> under Ingo's -rt patch. So now I need something that does not have a
    >> priority module.
    >> I'm not much of a gamer, although I do play every so often. So I don't
    >> need the highest quality card, but I also want something that is still
    >> pretty good. For example, I currently have a NVidia GeForce 6800 GT
    >> card. So I'm hoping to get something equivalent.
    >> I'm looking at the ATI Radeons.
    >> Any recommendations? (links to info would also be nice ;-)
    > Not a recommendation. Just a point to be aware of. The ATI Radeons, to
    > get the best acceleration, seem to require that you use the ATI closed
    > source drivers. Currently I haven't found an ATI closed source driver
    > that supports 2.6.14. so I'm forced to use the Xorg radeon driver. I
    > have no idea if this is very good. I don't think so as my glxgear
    > numbers are pretty low. Much lower than the ATI driver running on
    > 2.6.13-X.

    Surely it depends on the Radeon. I get perfectly respectable numbers on
    my Radeon 9250 (purchased because Dave Airlie said it was well-supported
    by :) ). It's not exactly Doom-playing quality, but it's good
    enough for everything I'm doing with it, and it only cost thirty quid:
    for that price you can afford to try it and see :)

    (Later Radeons' 3D aren't fully supported yet in free drivers, as far as
    I know.)

    `Heinlein is quite competent at putting together sentences, but usually
    he also puts together a plot to go with them.' --- Russ Allbery

      Last update: 2005-11-07 00:50    [W:0.021 / U:4.248 seconds]