SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.15-rc3
Linus Torvalds wrote:

>On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Michael Krufky wrote:
>

>>Those memory problems affecting v4l/dvb seem to be fixed (for me) , and
>>everything seems to work, but I got this oops on bootup. This is the first
>>2.6.15-rcX kernel that I've installed on this particular box. 2.6.14 worked
>>fine.
>>

>Ok, Nick's obviously correct patch fixed that, but now I wonder what the
>_heck_ your bootup process does:
>
>>Process gdb (pid: 5628, threadinfo=f488e000 task=f7239a30)
>>

>what kind of _strange_ boot process has gdb in it?
>
>Morbidly curious,
>
> Linus

Linus-

Good point... I don't know what is going on there. That box is running
a newly-installed debian sarge, with it's default startup scripts. I
have done nothing to that system besides kernel testing and v4l / dvb
testing and development.

The oops was showing up immediately before xorg opens with it's
user-login box...

In other words, the OOPS is the last thing to show on the screen in text
mode, before the console switches into X, using debian sarge's default
bootup process.

I have no idea why gdb is running.... hmm... Anyhow, I'm away from that
machine right now, and it is powered off, so I can't look directly at
the startup scripts right now. Would you like me to send more info
later on when I get home? If so, what would you like to see?

Cheers,

Michael Krufky

  Last update: 2005-11-29 17:27    [W:1.211 / U:1.032 seconds]