SubjectRe: umount

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005, Bill Davidsen wrote:

> linux-os (Dick Johnson) wrote:

>>> Jim,
>>> I'm not clear if 'both statements' included any of mine or not? :-)
>>>
>>> You discussed the event I was thinking of. I am writing to a 1394
>>> drive, bus powered or not, and while the write is occuring I unplug
>>> the cable. Clearly the data being written is not going to finish, and
>>> that's expected, but the 'reduced confidence' issue is that I'm not
>>> told directly of the event. Granted I'll eventually discover it in
>>> some indrect manner, like a GUI action failing or something timing
>>> out. However in Windows I do appreciate the clear message that this
>>> has happened.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Mark
>>>

>> Doesn't your GUI show a 'console' window? I don't use the GUI,
>> but the last time I checked, there was a 'console' window that
>> showed the error messages. This was standard with Sun.
>>
>> If you can find the 'console' window in your distribution, activate
>> it. If it doesn't have one, contact your vendor or make one. There
>> needs to be some visible evidence that something is going wrong.
>
> xterm -C

Right! Thanks.

> --

> -bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
> "The secret to procrastination is to put things off until the
> last possible moment - but no longer" -me

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.13.4 on an i686 machine (5589.55 BogoMips).
Warning : 98.36% of all statistics are fiction.
.

The information transmitted in this message is confidential and may be privileged. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Analogic Corporation immediately - by replying to this message or by sending an email to DeliveryErrors@analogic.com - and destroy all copies of this information, including any attachments, without reading or disclosing them.

Thank you.

  Last update: 2005-11-28 22:20    [W:0.042 / U:1.324 seconds]