SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.15-rc2

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Performance perceived by cloners is helped by
>
> $ mkdir -p .git/pack-cache
> $ git-rev-list --objects --all | git-pack-objects .git/pack-cache/pack

That really doesn't work very well. I push to that tree often several
times a day, and you'd have to re-do the cache each time.

So it would be much better if git-pack-objects would just always cache its
output in .git/pack-cache - along with some logic to just get rid of old
ones regularly.

Since git-pack-objects has to generate the pack _anyway_, it might as well
save it away when it does - so that if you have lots of people doing
clones or pulling, you'd only need to run it once for a particular set of
objects, and you'd not have to do any extra (or unnecessary) maintenance.

Linus

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans