    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.15-rc2

    On Thu, 24 Nov 2005, Junio C Hamano wrote:

    > Performance perceived by cloners is helped by
    >
    > $ mkdir -p .git/pack-cache
    > $ git-rev-list --objects --all | git-pack-objects .git/pack-cache/pack

    That really doesn't work very well. I push to that tree often several
    times a day, and you'd have to re-do the cache each time.

    So it would be much better if git-pack-objects would just always cache its
    output in .git/pack-cache - along with some logic to just get rid of old
    ones regularly.

    Since git-pack-objects has to generate the pack _anyway_, it might as well
    save it away when it does - so that if you have lots of people doing
    clones or pulling, you'd only need to run it once for a particular set of
    objects, and you'd not have to do any extra (or unnecessary) maintenance.

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.025 / U:16.188 seconds]