SubjectRe: [patch] SMP alternatives
> I'm curious about that too.  Even with k8 you can get down to a
> chip-select, but that doesn't necessarily map to a DIMM in any useful way,
> unless you have some mobo knowledge. Are we going to need a new BIOS

Yeah that's my problem.

It's not theoretical. We had cases where someone had to go
through 10+ DIMMs on a big machine in try and error to find
out which one is wrong. Very bad situation.

[Double plus bad if it wasn't actually any of the DIMMs that were
bad, but one of the VRMs on a big Opteron - it causes all the same
symptoms as a bad DIMM :/]

> table to map chip-selects onto DIMMs? :)

I proposed something like that - best with an ASCII string
("First DIMM on the top left corner") But getting such stuff into BIOS
is difficult and long winded.

-Andi

  Last update: 2005-11-24 20:18    [W:0.291 / U:0.664 seconds]