SubjectRe: [RFC] Small PCI core patch
Alan Cox wrote:

> They are, and getting better at it. One thing you really need to do
> before ascribing sinister goings on and malice to 'not doing what you
> want' is understand the view from the other side.
>
> The "do things out way or we bomb you" approach isn't a constructive way
> to build bridges whether its performed by Linux developers or US
> presidents.

I don't want to bomb them, either. I see that NVidia is in
competition to ATI and others and that they don't want to release
their sources to stay ahead. But breaking the GPL is not acceptable.

Recent news have shown that some very big companies (much larger
than NVidia) don't give a dime for the rights of others, if it
is not in their interest. If more and more companies break the
GPL without any consequences, then the GPL will become meaningless.

Talking about the other side: Some months ago NVidia dropped
support for some old (3 yrs, AFAIR) graphics cards in their
proprietary driver. They could have considered to release the
sources for this "old stuff" instead.

Regards

Harri

  Last update: 2005-11-23 07:09    [W:0.093 / U:0.116 seconds]